Thursday, September 17, 2009

The post searching for a title

Oh yeah, the blog, forgot about you.

We've been ridiculously busy trying to install our patio, working full time (driving 45+ minutes each way sucks), and setting up the new business (herbal-symphony.com).

The patio is the latest time thief. Our landscaper installed the crushed rock, sand, and leveled the patio area so it was nicely prepared for us to lay the pavers ourselves. Much of labor day weekend was spent doing just that, with the help of our friend Tim who came for a visit from Cleveland, and Chris's brother Mark. We got close to halfway done and Tim and I were very sunburned. Last weekend the two of us got a bit farther, but we still have quite a ways to go. With all of our design changes, we ended up with 800 square feet for the patio! It's looking great and will be a wonderful retreat when the rest of our vision comes to fruition. More to come.

For some reason I'm most inspired to blog after I pick up our garden share (even if it's been 2 months since I've posted). Today we got lots of heirloom tomatoes, "gigante" kohlrabi, which, even though I picked out the smallest one, is the size of cantelope, beets (again), leeks, squash, collard greens, eggplant... Also carrots for about the 5th or 6th week in a row. I was so excited that first week for the carrots, but now they're piling up in the fridge even though I try to use some just about every day now. Going to try carrot halwa tonight, which I've always loved indian restaurants but have never made myself. Yum.

If you look at that link, it's for Manjula's Kitchen. We're totally loving her recipes lately. They're simple, delicious, and I love learning through observation. She's the Indian grandmother I never had, haha.

I've made black eyed pea salad just about every week for us to take for lunch since sometime in August. It's very bright and fresh. Delicious. I think it started when we had mint from the farm and didn't know what to do with it. I've since bought a mint plant specifically for this recipe, and despite how fast mint grows, it can't really keep up.

We went to Chris's grandparents (aka "the lake") last Sunday to celebrate his grandpa's birthday. Was great weather for chatting on the deck. Chris's uncle and brothers put the boat away for the season, so I guess there will be no more rides on the lake til next year. :( His grandma was given a whole bunch of garlic from their neighbor's garden, and we cleaned the equivalent of probably 10 or 12 heads of garlic (most of the cloves are really small- Chris said they look like pine nuts). I put a whole bunch in a container of olive oil in the fridge. And I've used probably a bulb or two worth in cooking this week. Good stuff.

Out of curiousity, does anyone other than Phil read this? I love that you do Phil, just wondering if I have a one person audience. I guess only those who have RSS or some sort of notification set up would know when I post since it's so infrequent.

The nights are getting noticeably shorter but the weather has been absolutely beautiful lately. Hoping it stays cool so we can get a lot done on the patio Saturday.

Anyway, to the halwa and the roasting squash I have in the oven. Til next time.

No comments: